Thursday, August 25, 2016

Booked for Italy!

*Note: I started writing this post before yesterday's earthquake in Italy. I will always hold the country and it's people near and dear to my heart and I felt it would be insensitive to post this given yesterday's tragic events. 

After weeks of watching price alerts for flights that NEVER went down, I'm happy to say I finally booked my flight for my third trip to Italy this year. I'll be visiting Sardinia, an amazing island off the west coast with a friend I've known for over 30 years (my GOD I'm getting old!). I'll update you on that trip next month.
In the meantime, take a look at some memories from my first trip to Milan earlier this year. I went with my friend who lives in Switzerland. We decided to meet up in Milan, stay the night, then take the train to Lake Como where we visited Como and Bellagio. She needed to get back to work early, so after returning from Como, I ended up staying solo in Milan for a couple of nights. I did something I don't usually do…accepted an invitation from a complete stranger to dinner (when in Italy, you eat the pizza, right?).  He's a cop, I checked him out (and took a picture of his driver's license and license plate and sent it to my friend), so I figured "Why not? I'm only going to be in Milan once." Turns out I was destined to return a month and a half later for dinner number two…but I'll save that for the next post.

Today's lesson: Take a chance, accept the invite, eat the pizza (and enjoy the wine!).

Spring Break in Milan 2016
Highlights: -The laid-back Italian lifestyle. I think I was born to sit at cafés on the piazza while sipping wine and people watching (of course, I can do this in France too…).
                   -Lake Como. It's ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I mean, unreal.
                   -Making a new friend.
                   -Shopping. I was in Milan after all.

Lowlights: -Taking a cab from the airport outside of the city to the city center. One hundred euros later I found out I could've taken a train for about 12 . Oh well, now I know.
                  -The two-hour ferry ride from Bellagio back to Como. Apparently I get sea sick.

Streets of Milan.

Duomo di Milano. (side view)

Shopping at the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.

Duomo, front.

Teatro alla Scala

With Alejandra catching the tram to the train station.

Patiently waiting on the train to Como.

Como.

Walking along the lake in search of food.

Beautiful views from the ferry to Bellagio.

This doesn't even look real. Amazing. 

Bellagio.

I almost fell down these steps!


Cheers to new friends! (You'll see him again in the next post…)



         




2 comments:

  1. Living Italy through you until I plan a trip! ... And can't wait to hear about dinner #2! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free! That's one of the purposes of this blog. And dinner number two was…very nice. Coming soon!

    ReplyDelete